You probably never think twice about your plumbing until you go to the faucet and the water doesn’t’ come out. With the winter winds and freezing cold temperatures our plumbing pipes are vulnerable to freezing. Below are some tips and local links to help you to prevent your pipes from freezing.
Tips to prevent your pipes from freezing:
- Know where your main water cutoff valve is located in your home. In the event you experience a burst pipe, you’ll want to turn off the water quickly.
- Make sure the water lines to outside faucets are turned off and they should be drained.
- Eliminate drafts near water supply lines and insulate water pipes.
- Open the doors to cabinets were sinks are located an exterior wall.
- Let your faucets drip cold water.
Taking these precautionary measures will help you reduce your exposure to a disastrous plumbing emergency and costly plumbing repairs.
What to do if your plumbing does freeze:
- Open up all the cabinets near water lines and gradually start the thawing process.
- Do not use an open flame of any sort to thaw the pipes.
- Make sure that you are aware of the location of the main water shut off value to the whole home. If the frozen pipes thaw and are split, you’ll want to make certain to shut the incoming water off to the house.
Also know that your water meter can freeze, if you suspect that the pipes have not frozen in your home reach out to the provider of your water service. Below are a few helpful links.
If you live in Fairfax County check out the Seasonal Tips for Your Plumbing posted on the Fairfax Water website. If you live in Loudoun County check out the article on Preventing Frozen Water Pipes in your Loudoun County home. In Winchester check out these tips.
Looking for a plumber who can fix your leaking and broken pipes? Contact M.E. Flow for a plumbing repair with a qualified plumber. We service all of Northern Virginia and portions of West Virginia with heating, cooling and plumbing services. With office locations in Alexandria, Leesburg, and Winchester, M.E. Flow is just a 15 minutes from Ashburn, 20 minutes from Annandale, and 14 minutes from Stephen City, VA. If you’re have a plumbing emergency call today and schedule a service call.