Going on vacation? As you plan the details of your trip don’t forget to prepare your home’s plumbing too.
Most of us plan every detail of our vacation but when it comes to preparing our home we sometimes forget. To help you avoid coming home to a devastating plumbing emergency here are some tips to prepare your home while you’re away.
According to the Nationwide website, they suggest for your plumbing:
- Put your water heater in vacation mode
- Turn off valves to your washing machine, dishwasher, and sinks
And depending on how long you are going to be away you may want to turn off the main water supply to the house. Don’t forget your washing machine! Washing machine leaks happen more often than you would think. When was the last time you checked your washing machine’s valves for wear and signs of damage?
Reduce the Chance of Facing a Plumbing Emergency
Calling a plumber before you go on vacation and request a whole-home plumbing inspection.
A plumber can do a whole-home plumbing inspection for you. A whole-home plumbing inspection can identify minor problems and correct them before they turn into a plumbing emergency. Here are just a few items that are inspected:
- Inspect washing machine supply valves and supply lines for signs of damage or kinks that may lead to leaks
- Inspect all shut off valves and fixture supply lines for leaks and proper operation
- Inspect all exposed water piping for leaks and defects
- Inspect all fixtures including floor drains for proper drainage and leakage
- Show you where the main shut off is located, should you have an emergency
- For a complete list of items included in the whole-home plumbing inspection, click here.
For additional tips on preparing for vacation be sure to view the Vacation Preparation Checklist at the Nationwide insurance website. Have a great vacation and for peace of mind remember to call your M.E. Flow plumber! Click here for a whole-home plumbing inspection coupon and call M.E. Flow. M.E. Flow has office locations in Alexandria, Leesburg, and Winchester and our plumbing team covers the entire Northern Virginia area.
CLICK HERE for more coupons
The post Plumbing Tips for When You Go on Vacation appeared first on M.E. Flow.