Is it time to replace your old leaky or outdated bathroom and kitchen faucets? Not sure if you should do it yourself or if you will need a plumber for your Northern Virginia home? Before you turn off the water supply check out this post, we’ll share some of the tips that will help you when changing your faucet and help you decide if changing your faucets is the right choice for you.
If you decide to tackle this project yourself before you run to the hardware store and purchase replacement faucets you will want to make sure they fit –otherwise you’ll have to make another trip to the store to return them.
Here is what you need to know:
- Does your sink have 1, 2, or 3 holes for the faucet
- Is it center set or widespread
Before you start this project make sure you have the time to complete it. Depending on your skill level it would take an hour, a few hours, a day, or even a weekend to change your faucet.
Here is a summary of the steps to follow to change your faucets yourself:
- Turn off the water supply
- Then turn on the faucet to relieve any water pressure left in the line
- Disconnect the water supply lines from the faucet. You may need a basin wrench.
- Disconnect the lift rod and remove the nuts from under the faucet.
- Moving onto the drain you will need to unscrew the slip nut on the p-trap. Be sure to place a bucket underneath to catch any water.
- Disconnect the drain flange from the tailpiece.
- Clean the area around the old drain and faucet holes.
- Install your new faucet by following the specific installation instructions.
- Once you have installed the new faucet, before you turn the water on, you will want to check the connections for leaks and screw the aerator back on.
As easy as it sounds, I, don’t know if I could complete this project without loosing my patients and having to call a plumber half way thru. Changing our your faucets is one of those plumbing projects that plumbers make look too easy– it’s because they are trained and do this everyday.
Something to Consider
If you plan to stay in your home why not purchase a faucet that’s guaranteed to last a lifetime? Before you run to the department store check out our new line of kitchen and bath faucets by Danze. Danze is not offered in the department stores. Click here to find out why we say we have Fabulous Faucet Fixtures. You can purchase Danze faucets from M.E. Flow. Just call us or fill out the form on this page and tell us what you like.
Opting to Hire a Plumber
Rather opt for a professional plumber to replace your faucets? Call our plumbing office locations in Winchester, Alexandria, and Leesburg, M.E. Flow covers the entire Northern Virginia area and has a professional plumber in your neighborhood. Call us today or fill out the form on this page Or, call us to inquire about purchasing new faucets.
You can purchase Danze replacement faucet fixtures here from M.E. Flow. We also offer plumbing fixtures by: Toto, Kohler, American Standard, Delta, Moen, and Danze.