Carbon Monoxide Warning

Carbon Monoxide

Local Family is Ashburn is Treated for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

View story in media here

PRESS RELEASE–M.E. Flow Heating Contractor Offers Life-Saving Reminder Keeping Your Family Safe and Warm This Winter–

After waking up to a story in the news of families being treated to CO poisoning it’s always a reminder to issue our press release. Please call us if you have any questions.
This time of year potential poisoning by carbon monoxide is a serious issue. If you have appliances in your home that burn fuel or you plan on using a gas or kerosene space heater this winter you need to know the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas, and because you can’t see it or smell it, the fumes can kill you.

Fuel-burning appliances– such as furnaces, stoves, fireplaces, and space heaters—can be used safely if they’re properly installed and maintained. But common conditions can enable them to produce carbon monoxide. With the weather cooling off and the heating systems warming up, now is a good time for everyone to evaluate their homes and have their furnace inspected.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommend the following precautions to prevent Carbon Monoxide Poisoning:

  • Have a trained professional inspect, clean, and tune up your central heating system (furnaces, flues, and chimneys) annually.
  • Check chimneys, flues, and vents for leakage and blockage
  • Check all vents to furnaces, water heaters, boilers, and other fuel-burning appliances to make sure they are not loose or disconnected
  • Inspecting vent pipes on heating systems
  • Inspect appliances for adequate ventilation. A supply of fresh air is important to help carry pollutants up the chimney, stovepipe or flue, and is necessary for the complete combustion of any fuel.
  • Making sure ventilation air openings aren’t blocked
  • Never place a generator inside
  • Never use gas appliances such as ranges, or ovens to heat your home
  • Never keep car running while parked in the garage– even when the garage door is open

The Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends a Carbon Monoxide inspection and stated a Carbon Monoxide detector in your home will improve your safety. Also, a Low Level Carbon Monoxide detector provides the best protection.

This winter we want everyone to be warm and safe. Get your furnace inspected by a qualified professional and make sure that if your home has gas heat that you get a carbon monoxide check. You may save a lot more than just energy!

If you would like more information on ways to keep your family safe from the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning please call M.E. Flow in Leesburg at (571) 350-3183Click here for information about a low lever carbon monoxide monitor.

Related Posts
  • Is a Whole-House Ventilation System Right for Your Home? Read More
  • 3 Facts Your HVAC Contractor Wants You to Know That Can Save You Money Read More
  • Ways Your HVAC System Can Keep the Flu Away Read More